Broody Silkie

Ozcrazyfarm

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2018
Australia
I am new to chickens and noticed two weeks ago that one of my silkies was sitting on eggs. I was very excited as I have previously only incubated eggs. I moved the rooster and the other silkies into another area, so she could hatch and raise her chicks in peace. She can however still see the others.
She was off the nest about 10 days ago and I counted six eggs (however didn’t mark them), today, on day 15, I noticed an additional two eggs!? Should I just wait and see what happens? I thought she would stop laying.

Hello @Ozcrazyfarm ! welcome to BYC :frow She will stop laying in due course. You'll have to watch out for staggered hatch though; I'm sure some folk more experienced in this dept will come by soon to offer advice on that matter.

Thanks Poulechick!
Absolutely sure none of the other hens can get in - they are now in an adjoining pen and are free ranged, but lay in their own nesting box and I have been collecting their eggs daily.
Guess it’s going to be a very interesting first hatch! Will post any updates!

I'd probably be tempted to collect eggs that are all from the same time (from your other silkies) over a couple of days, mark them and then put them all under her on the same day then remove any that are laid after. She should stop laying though. Is there no way any of the others could be getting in there to lay? I wouldn't want to be doing a staggered lay on my first hatch - nervewracking enough without that!

I'd probably be tempted to collect eggs that are all from the same time (from your other silkies) over a couple of days, mark them and then put them all under her on the same day then remove any that are laid after. She should stop laying though. Is there no way any of the others could be getting in there to lay? I wouldn't want to be doing a staggered lay on my first hatch - nervewracking enough without that!

Back
Top Bottom