1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody silkie?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenmadnessainmind, Mar 10, 2012.

1. chickenmadnessainmind

chickenmadnessainmind Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Hi all! :)
    I decided today that i would split my silkies into groups, I had put all the hens into one pen,to see which were the best for breeding, Anyway long story short It got dark quick there was no roost in the pen and one of the 3 silkies left in the pen sat in the corner on top of straw that was also in the corner!
    She started growling at me when i went to pick her up. So i place six eggs under her that was about 3 hours ago. (shes still on them now)
    My question for you guys is do you think she is gone broody or is she just laying there because there is no roost? Cheers

2. chickenmadnessainmind

Feb 19, 2011
    Its ok found out that she was in fact not broody, my plans to split them all went up in smoke as they all got lose today and went back to the large coop :/ Anyway i was thinking that if i split them up again would it increase the chance of one going broody? They have been in lay the past 2 months, i have tried leaving eggs under them (16+ in there but all 4 are laying) i collected them all today when i cleaned the out!
    What do you guys think i should do?

3. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Two of my silkies are broody right now and they went broody with no help or encouragement from me. But when I want someone to go broody I'll put out some golf balls and leave them and see if anyone decides it's a good idea to sit on them. Dark corner or box will help.

4. chickenmadnessainmind

Feb 19, 2011
    I fell like i have tried everything with them! I split one today from the rest and all she wanted to do was get out of there and free-range, so i gave in and let her out!Maybe i should leave her alone with no other chicken friends and let her lay her own clutch? Would golf balls not be the same as leaving the eggs they have layed?

5. chickenmadnessainmind

Feb 19, 2011
    You have to laugh at them! They were all in together last night,I feed and watered them this morning and left them in there run, went off to work, came home and collected the eggs guess what i found on top of my eggs? Hmm... a silkie chicken! I pushed her off the eggs and she went to drink walk etc.. and five minutes later she was back in on her eggs! She is clearly broody now and i am delighted! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by