Broody Silkie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdeering, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jdeering

jdeering New Egg

Aug 26, 2012
    We have a Partridge Silkie Bantam that has gone broody. We do not have a rooster and could use some advise on how long she might be like this. She is going into her 4th week. We have given her a golf ball to sit on today. I really don't want to "break" her but would prefer to allow it to run its course. Any input would be appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why not 'break her'? Brooding can be debilitating to a hen. With her being a silky she may perish before stopping on her own especially with the encouragement of the golf ball to incubate.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could send her to my house, I wish my Silkies would go broody :lau

Seriously though, if she's already been like this for 4 weeks she's already gone over the amount of time she should naturally be setting (3 weeks). I would put her in a wire cage with no shavings in the bottom to get some air under her tushie (with food and water, of course). Leave there until she doesn't want to sit anymore. She'll pace and look agitated when she's ready to get out. Good luck.
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by