broody Silkie????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom'sfolly, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Here's the deal. Its hotter than hell's back door here in Texas, and I think my silkie is broody or egg bound. I hope you guys can help me tell the difference. She is in the nest box most of the time, but when I take her off she doesn't get mean or nasty (life my BO did) but she just lets me hold her. When I put her down she seems almost top heavy, going down head first. She eats, interacts with the rest of the birds and then goes back to the nest box. I haven't gotten an egg from her in a couple of days, but her vent looks normal and I can't feel any hardness. So, do you think she is broody, egg bound or just plain hot? How does an egg bound chicken's backside look?
    I've been away for two long weekends this summer, each weekend being hotter than the surface of the sun, and each time have come home to broodies, or what I think are broodies. The buff orp was definitely broody, and as nasty as they come, but she was easily broken. These birds were hatched in early January.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Silkies are just so sweet..... [​IMG] I'm voting just broody.... and hot.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Considering that Silkies are known for going broody I'd vote broody also. My Australorp would growl and fluff at us but never pecked us when she was broody. I could pick her up and she never attempted to peck us.

However, when you say she's top heavy that kinda concerns me. I'd certainly keep an eye on her to make sure it's just being broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by