Broody Silkies, do they ever get down and eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kysilkies, Dec 19, 2009.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Our silkie has been laying eggs for almost a month and not sure but we just integrated 4 ducks in with them and now she's decided to get broody...If that means sitting on the eggs and never moving...

Do they get down to eat or anything, I haven't seen her move in days?...We're newbs, thanx in advance!!!

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    They will get down to eat & poop. If you pick her up & she seems thin, you can make it a point to take her off the nest a couple times a day to give her some cooked egg and mash. Our silkies stay broody for soooo long that we get worried about them. [​IMG]

3. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    They know what to do. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't put little dishes of water and crumbles in my girl's brood box if she looks peaked.* Just keep an eye on her.

*peaked (PEE ked) poorly, sickly. Is this a real word, or just one of those Southernisms I come out with now and then?

4. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Peaked is indeed a word! Did have to look it up to make sure though [​IMG]

Yourdictionary.com :

peaked

adjective

thin and drawn, or weak and wan, as from illness

Sorry I can't be more help about broodies. I just got my first chicks last week. I will keep my eye on this post, because I have two silkies toooo! (Here's to hoping at least one's a girl, and broody at that.)​

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    2 of them are now being broody...I don't know if it was from introducing the ducks in their world or what...They have been laying for about a month, actually go to lockdown on 4 of theirs(we're gonna be grandparents!!!!!!!!!!!) in 2 days, just candled and all look good, so we're not sure if they were just ready to get broody or felt the need to protect them all of the sudden...

We put 11 more of theirs in another bator a week or so ago so we're gonna have lots of baby silkies soon!...

6 months ago we said we'd have 2 and that's it, we're up to 11(includes 5 ducks) and for some absolutely unknown reason, no plans to stop...

6. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    My broody silkie has been sitting on eggs for over a month now (first batch was bad, this one is due tomorrow... crossing fingers) - she NEVER goes off those eggs!

Every morning I have to lift her off the nest and carry her to the coop so she can relieve herself and have a bite, stretch her legs (she's in the house the past 3 weeks). She has food and water in the nesting box within reach but rarely touches anything. She has never pooped in the house.

[​IMG] it must depend on the hen!

7. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Good luck!...We know ours are sitting on at least 2 maybe 3 eggs between the 2 of them, we have no clue LOL Now I'll have to check tomorrow...I think we'll hardboil and egg or two and take it to them tomorrow for some extra protein...

8. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    I usually make sure the girls get out at least once a day. I have two silkies with chicks right now. I let one hatch some eggs and the other I had sitting on fake eggs and switched them out with some day-old chicks, to let her raise them.

9. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    A broody will only come off the nest every 2-3 days to eat, drink. and poo. I always carry extra food for them to the nest so they can get a few nibbles in and have a little drinking cup to give them a little extra water; especially here in the Southern Summers. Nature knows best but sometimes a little help doesn't hurt either![​IMG]

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have limited experience with silkies as I only have a pair (blue hen and white cockeral) but with my other broodies I make it a point to get them off the nest at least once a day to eat/drink/poo. SOme are good about getting off the nest themselves but others are farrr tooo dedicated to do so. My blue silkie pullet hasn't even started laying yet and she is broody! Good luck with the babies hatching [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by