Broody Silkies... does that mean no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheeshshe, Mar 31, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    If a silkie sits on the eggs, does that mean I won't be able to get to the eggs at all? will it end up that I won't be able to get eggs for my family? I'm thinking about getting one today but she said the one I want is the one that is most broody. I wanted the splash hen :) Or, if she sits on eggs all the time, that means we can't pick her up etc and that sort of defeats the purpose of having her sort of LOL. I don't have a rooster, so she won't be hatching anything out. So if she is always sitting on eggs, then we won't even see her... is there even a point in getting a silkie then? I've wanted one for 3 years LOL

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You simply pick her up or reach under her and take the eggs.
    There is no reason that you can not 'pick her up.'
    If you really want to enjoy having a silky wander around, get a rooster - guaranteed the hens WILL go broody.

3. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    Will she not bite if I pick her up?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some hens will peck at you. The degree of aggression varies from breed to breed and hen to hen within the breeds. Silkies are 'generally' pretty mellow. If necessary you can always wear gloves.

5. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    hmmm. She does have roosters as well. I'm not sure how I feel about a rooster. I hear so many different things about roosters. Plus, Not sure how I feel about crowing too. Oh I don't know what to do! Decisions decisions! I'm going this morning LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by