Broody silkies hatching others' eggs...any special food/treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by weesy68, Aug 8, 2010.

1. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    Hi, I have two incredibly broody silkies that I took pity on. I got fertile eggs from a nearby farm for them to hatch, as I have no roosters (in burbs). Should I be treating them differently now? Should I provide extra food/treats? Also, at what point should I move them from their current location (in the main coop with two other birds who can be aggressive), to a coop where the chicks will be safe when they hatch? I don't want them to abandon the eggs, should I wait until they have hatched? I'm fairly new at this, I got all my birds when they were already at least sixteen weeks old. [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I give my broody girls a scrambled egg every other day or so. It's a high protien treat that even a tranced out broody seems to appreciate and does wonders for keeping them in good condition while they do their thing. I only let my most dominant hens brood in the main coop, the more timid ones tend to let other hens lay in their nest and/or get pushed off and end up setting on shavings or fresh eggs instead of where they're supposed to.

I have had good luck moving broody girls by doing it at night and covering the new nest area for the first day. They don't get so excited after dark and if you keep things kind of dark/dim in the new spot for the first day they tend to go back into their broody trance and all is well. Do make sure that they don't have access to the original nest though otherwise they are likely to go back to it after their daily feed/water/poo/dustbath break.

3. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    hi i have 2 broody silkies at the moment too i haven't had any luck moving them into a pen not even at night time. So my silkies are brooding in the main pen with the other silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by