Broody Silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by whitecra, Apr 16, 2008.

1. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Boy I heard that silkies like to set. Well so far 4 out of our 5 silkie hens have sat. We have one on the nest now with 5 eggs. The only problem is I am not getting any silkie eggs right now so she is sitting some of our big chicken eggs. They are good moms also.
    Chris

2. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    All of my girls are sitting right now too. Some did not even have eggs. So I split up the eggs from the other girls. You can't keep them from it, so I guess you just let them sit. I did take the one d'uccle I just hatched and put under one girl who is the oldest and has brooded babies before. She is doing great with the little one. So she will get up soon and take care of the baby. But the others will sit until something hatches I guess. Good luck with your hatches. If a silkie can't hatch it, no one can, lol.

Marie

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I wish my silkies would take a break from laying and set. Out of a dozen hens, I only have 1 that has gone broody. And when she sets, she doesn't even sit on the eggs right. [​IMG] I bet I will jinx that statement just by saying it and they'll all go broody at once. lol

I have been relying on broody araucana and buff orps here.

Jody

4. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, I wish some of mine would lay and not sit. So I guess we have the opposite problem.

Marie

5. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I agree with you here.
    Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by