Broody Silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coopsbyty, Jan 12, 2013.

1. coopsbyty

coopsbyty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Red Oak, Tx
    We have a small flock of silkies and showgirls, out of the 5 hens we have 4 of them have been broody for almost 40 days now. They hatched us one BCM (I snuck it under them to keep gathering there eggs) I pulled it after a day and put in our brooder with our other chicks hoping it would get the girls back out and grazing. Needless to say pulling the chick did not get them moving so I gave them a couple more BCM eggs and left a few of theirs that I marked so I could keep gathering the other eggs, the chicks are due to hatch in about 5 days my question is, do I need to leave the chicks with them to get them back out and moving or can I pull them and they will get out? I am starting to worry about them being in the coop most of the day everyday. I mean I know they are eatting and drinking but my one frizzle is starting to get a bit thin. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
    Ty

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    To encourage them to break their brood, you need to separate the chicks from the hens.
    Also put the hens in a separate cage, preferably off the ground, with no dark areas or nesting material.
    In 4-5 days put them back in their normal pen. If they go back to brooding, repeat the above process.

Note: Remove all the chicks. Remove all eggs as soon as you can to encourage them not to go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by