1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody silky Mama wanna be

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cottagechick, Mar 7, 2012.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Being a first time chicken mama I heard that that you should put golf balls or fake eggs out to let the chickens know where they should lay the eggs. I should have known that they would know where to lay....

1. In the middle of the yard.
    2. In the pot of my Meyer lemon tree.
    3. In the pig house.
    4. On the floor of the coop.

Well, now one of my silkies has gone broody. She has been spending about 23.5 hours a day for the last three days on a nest that she has feathered with her own feathers. She even did the adorable little growly thing at me when I disturbed her. Today she was off the nest so I went to look and see what she was setting on...

She is trying valiantly to hatch three of the golf balls. [​IMG]

I took a picture of the proud Mama to be on her baby balls but can't figure out why it won't come of my sim card...will try some more...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Whatcha waitin' for? Give that girl some REAL eggs! [​IMG]

3. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have heard that you shouldn't let silkies hatch ducks. If I recall the feathers on the feet can strangle the ducklings. Does anyone know if this is just upon hatch? Could I try putting some day olds under her in a few weeks?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't raise ducks, but I've never heard of that before. Lot's of people let chickens hatch duck eggs. The dangerous part is letting ducks hatch chicken eggs, because the mom will take them for a "swim".

Hopefully someone will respond for you about the silkies raising ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by