Broody Silky - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sleepy71, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Sleepy71

Sleepy71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    One of our silkies appears to have gone broody. No big deal, really. We got a Silky Roo FREE off Craigslist a few weeks ago, so we know there's been some hanky-panky going on. LOL We'd been pulling the eggs daily, as always, but when I noticed that Snowball (she's all white) was hanging out in the nesting box, I decided to leave the 2 eggs she was sitting on. I figured I'd let nature take its course and let her incubate them. I've been checking on her for the past few days, and she has been in there each time. Well, this morning, one of the bantam cochins was in her box and she was in the adjacent box. I just checked again, after noticing the bantam was outside the coop with the rest of the girls free-ranging for the day, and Snowball was back in her box. This time, though, there were FIVE eggs under her, instead of the original 2. I know those all aren't hers, but I realized I should have marked the original 2 eggs, for just this very reason. So, what do I do now? I don't want to leave all these eggs under there, not knowing which ones are fertile. Should I just mark these 5 and see what happens? Or, is there a way I can tell which ones are fertile?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

2. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    I would mark those five and remove any that are layed in her nest after. She might not stay on the newer eggs after the 2 original eggs hatch but She could. Hope all goes well!

1 person likes this.
  3. sven

sven Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You can check which ones are fertile buy makeing an illuninating box. Super easy! Done it severial times and always works. All you will need a smallish box and a flashlight. cut the bottom off the box and and cut a opening where you can stick your hand with the flashlight in....then cut a small hole as big as a quarter on top of the box where you will place one egg (at a time) then stick your hand under the box with your flashlight on and point it up towards the egg...you will see the egg illuniated and if its FERTILE, it will have vains and maybe a very small fetus. If its UNFERTILE, it will look just watery and dark with nothing inside. Remember to wash your hands very well when handleing the eggs because oils and germs on your hands may effect the Fertile eggs.

Hope It works out well. Heres picture of fertile and an unfertile egg. first is fertile and second is not

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Sleepy71

Sleepy71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Excellent! How old does the fertile egg have to be for it to look like that?

5. sven

sven Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Well when I get eggs to incubate the process until hatching takes around 20-25 days. within 3 days of fertility when you illuminate the egg you will see veins in the egg. The fertile egg i posted was prolly on its 8th day I'm guessing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by