broody silky

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by doxies1, Jan 25, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    I have a silkie that just went broody on one egg. I gave her a couple more from the bator. She is not in a nesting box but in front of one on styrafoam. question--- Can I move her two feet into a box? She is already quite pecky, had a fit when I added the two and quickly scooped them under her.

2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I've tried to move my silkie and she just moves back, though I didn't put her into a box that she couldn't roll the eggs out of. I think she will sit wherever you put her as long as she can continue to sit.

***WEAR GLOVES***

My girl is downright vicious. She has an amazing backward thrust peck. I can't believe she can get that much power and precision in such an odd angle. Almost drew blood once. AND she HOLDS on to the skin when she gets a hold!

I always wear gloves now if I need to move her. She doesn't get up for anything and poops where she sits, so I need to move her to clean it out.

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I have had good luck moving my broody silkies. Always move them at night because they can't see good enough to move back and by morning they have usually forgotten that you moved them. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by