Broody sister hens side by side, what happens when the keets hatch?

jmhenry1964

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
My last two females have gone broody side by side with two large nests of eggs. They are the only smart girls I have had ....ever! They laid the eggs 5 feet from the back of the house deep in a clump of bamboo within a chain link fence. They are 40 feet from the hen house/food and water. Its day three of 'broodieness' and I am confident I can keep these girls alive. What happens when the keets hatch? We have ten males that hang out and visit with the girls, will the males attack the keets? Will the mothers take the keets to the hen house when they hatch? Are the mothers aggressive enough to keep keets safe from my three cats? Just looking for advice / suggestions. Thanks!

I'm in the exact same situation but one month farther down the road. I had 3 hens sitting on 40+ eggs. One gave up. Ended up with 2 hens and 22 eggs (snake was stealing eggs) when they started to hatch. 4 hatched over 2 days and the hens gave up on the rest. Gave the remaining eggs to 2 LF broody hens and they hatch another 7 before they quit. The guinea hens walked the keets towards the chicken coop and I intercepted them before they got there and herded them into a growout pen where they are staying.

Be careful with the hens. I got flogged for the first time by one of them when I was checking the babies. My excellent chicken dog also got his butt kicked by the hens twice. Good reminder for him but he was completely innocent.

My hens were also behind the house unprotected so I made them a cover to stay dry and gave them a bowl of feed and water so they didn't have to hike to the coop.

Awww! What pretty girls! We got a separate water pail for mine yesterday and I have been giving them a little grain. Afraid to put too much out for fear of attracting a predator. Mine are behind a chain link fence already but my husband came up with the plan of making a smaller chicken wire fence around the section of bamboo where the hens are. Short enough that the hens will have no trouble getting over it but too much for new keets. That way the mother hens can't wander off with a few of the keets. We will also set up the incubator after hearing your story! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom