Broody Sizzle hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickoletta82, Mar 1, 2017.

1. chickoletta82

chickoletta82 Just Hatched

Dec 20, 2016
    Hello all,

I have a young broody sizzle hen that has taken over the favorite nesting box of all other hens! I tried a few things, but not sure how to proceed :(
    She sat in one of the three available next boxes,which happens to be the best box my other 5 laying hen lay too. They don't go in the other two, nor will she. I have her in a large metal cage right now. I have put a shoe box with straw in there, plus one egg. She is not having it! Because of her blocking the next box since two days ago. My others won't lay. Where i usually get 5 or at least 4 eggs a day. Said metal crate is too large to fit in the coop, but i want her to hatch at least a few eggs. Even if i wanted to try and break her from being broody. That crate is big and is sitting right now in the open in the run, on sand. Is there a trick or so, that i can try and put her up in the coop without her distracting the other hens? Please, i am going crazy, the poor thing seems to go crazy as well, trying to get out of the crate.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. OliviaBirds

OliviaBirds Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Hello,

If you want to break your broody chicken's habit of constantly going to the nest box, you need to keep in in a metal crate for at least three days. Do not give it access to any straw or bedding. She needs to sit on cold metal bars to lower her temperature, and that will help break her broodiness. I have had a frizzle bantam hen for a year now, and she has gotten broody twice. Both times I was able to break it by putting her in a cage, and a few weeks later she was laying eggs regularly again and not taking up the nest box all day long. Hope this helps!!

Olivia

3. chickoletta82

Dec 20, 2016
    Thank you for your reply Olivia. I have decided to put her in a metal crate underneath the nesting boxes. I have put in a box with straw and three freshly layed eggs from my other hens. They're usually all fertile, so i hope I'd get at least one chick. I am not quite sure how long she could stay off the eggs and go in the run with all other chickens. I will have to open the crate and take her out and put her back in. How long is staying off the eggs too long?

4. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Once she is definitely brooding in that nest you made, just leave in open. She will know what to do. The night before hatch, you can close the crate to protect her.

5. chickoletta82

Dec 20, 2016
    I have decided to let her go back high up in her favorite nest box. She's been sitting on 6 LF eggs. The other 4 laying hens have been a good sport and are using the other 2 next boxes to lay. My broody has been sitting on the eggs 6 days now. Would i be able to candle the eggs today without doing any damage to the embryos?

6. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

You could, but mama would be MAD!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by