Broody started to hatch out yesterday..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by growinupinfl, Nov 7, 2010.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    We thought she was due to hatch on Monday, guess our calculations where off a little bit. She hatched the first one yesterday afternoon, by this morning there was 4, now number 5 is pipping and the sixth is rocking and making a LOT of noise...

Even though she has done awesome, when will she lead them out for them and her to eat, she looks pitiful, is there ever a point where I should insist that her and the chicks get out and drink and eat?

I tried to remove the shells and she flared up all Velociraptor on me. I put the shell down and she grabbed it and put it back under her.

How long should the shells stay there, and can they cause problems with bacteria, or otherwise harm the chicks.

Thank you so much,

Christal

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Just leave the shells. Some of mine eat them and with the ones that don't I just take them out after the hatch is done and she leaves the nest with the chicks. Since she's being so protective of them though I'd keep a close eye on things and if she doesn't take the hatched out chicks off the nest in the next 48 hours remove the shells and unhatched eggs.

Most hens will abandon any unhatched eggs to care for the chicks within 48 hours of the first one hatching, but I had a tragedy here this summer where my bo stayed on the nest (I was working 12 hour days and thought she was just back on the nest for the night when I got home--didn't realize she hadn't taken the chicks to food/water) and let the hatched chicks dehydrate/starve while still trying to hatch out the bad eggs. This is VERY uncommon, but I wanted to warn you of the possibility since your girl is so possesive of the shells.

ETA: I meant 48 hours from when the first chick hatched, not 48 hours from now. It seemed a bit unclear when I re-read my post so I want to clarify that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Ok, so tomorrow she should be taking them out.. It amazes me how they stay right in the nest with her.. She is doing good, it seems egg fiive is pipped, and egg 6 is rocking and cheeping so I'm thinking she might hatch out all of them. If they are not both hatched tonight I will take the one that has not peeped and put it up under my other hen who is do to hatch tomorrow or Tuesday.. They are both doing so good. Luckily we will have someone home all day for the next few days.. to go keep an eye on everything.. Thanks again,

Christal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by