Broody, still hasn't laid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Strick13, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Strick13

Strick13 New Egg

Aug 3, 2012
    Hi,

One of my hens was laying everyday for about 3-4 weeks then she started acting broody, from what I research about her actions. It's been at least a month now and she still hasn't laid any eggs. Also, I've noticed she has these scab looking circles on her comb and neck area, and from what I've researched it seems to be fowl pox. [​IMG] Anyways, I just want to know why she isn't laying still..is it due to her having fowl pox and is there a cure for that?

Thanks,

strick13

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If she was at the point of inactively setting on the nest, they stop laying after that, after breaking her brood it may take two weeks, month or a little more to start again. Fowl pox can slow or stop them laying. So your guess is as good as mine as to why she hasn't laid.

3. Strick13

Strick13 New Egg

Aug 3, 2012
    Is the fowl pox a normal condition in Chickens?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Fowl pox is a disease that they usually recover from. It is not their normal state. Like any disease how common it is varies some years there seem to be a lot the other years not so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by