broody still with chicks that are now 13 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brummie, Nov 9, 2014.

1. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    I want her to start laying eggs again, but her chicks are now 13 weeks old and she is still mothering them. I thought mamma hens stayed with chicks 9 or 10 weeks tops. Why is she still with them, is it something to do with it now being winter? And is there anything I can do to get her to stop mothering them as I am low on egg layers at the moment.

Mother is a silkie cross light sussex, has 2 chicks that are mutts, both roos. They hardly fit under her now, although they are a little on the small side.

2. urban sunshine

urban sunshine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    New England
    My neighbor who has owned chickens for a while told me if that happens, stick the mamma hens butt in cold water. I've never tried but it can't hurt[​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    With it being cold, I don't think I'd dunk her in cold water.

Do you intend to keep the cockerels? If not, now might be the time to sort out how you'll get rid of them. If you do want to hang onto them, separate them. Put either the hen or the little boys in a separate enclosure for a few days so they aren't hanging out all day (it would probably be easier to remove the cockerels, so you don't have to reintegrate the hen and cause added stress which would delay egg laying even more).
    Keep in mind, even if you remove someone, it may still be quite a while before you see an egg from her. She'll need some time to get back into the swing of things.

Good luck.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If she's part silkie, she's not a stellar layer anyway, so I'd expect her to take the winter off. I don't think there's anything you can do to get her laying again. I think she'd not be laying even if she didn't have chicks. Even my hatchery (production bred) birds with 2-3 month old chicks aren't laying now, it's just time to take a break.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  5. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    I don't particularly fancy dunking her butt in cold water either, especailly as it has been pouring down for the last few days almost non stop and we are at about 5 celcius in the mornings.

I don't really have the space for seperate enclosures unfortunatly, and I don't really want to upset her taking her chicks away. I was just hoping maybe theres a way to make her let go herself. I'm just suprised that she is still mothering them at 13 weeks I guess.

As for being a good layer, she is also part light sussesx, which means when she is not broody she lays nearly every day. This is a common cross here in the UK (known as goldtops), they make about the best broodies you can get, and are very good layers when not broody, although |'m not so sure about through the winter, I've not had goldtops in winter before.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silkies lay very well during the winter. Summer is what gets them, they just sit around and pant all day or go broody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by