1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody switches to new pile midstream--move or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amiachicknorwat, May 27, 2016.

1. amiachicknorwat

amiachicknorwat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Hi, My 2nd hen to go broody is about at the timing to hatch, but just today moved to a freshly laid pile of eggs. Should i pick her up and move her back onto the, i believe, almost ready to hatch pile? Or shall I leave her be, trusting mother knows best where to set herself? I did remove a couple eggs today from that pile that were unmarked. Might she think I did irreparable damage that's cause for abandonment? I figured that 10 eggs were enough for her to sit on and two more was too many. Hope I'm not asking too many questions> I really want to know whether I should move her back onto the pile she's been sitting on all this time. Perhaps moving her would be disruptive and pointless, as she would just move back to where she wants. Shrug, Nick

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Just move her back. I have to move mine back to the right pile every day :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by