Broody Symptoms

Hello! Broodie hens will want to set on the nest constantly. They will puff up or growl when you try and take the eggs. Often, they'll scurry around and eat drink and have an ENORMOUS poo, then run right back to the nest.

They often pull out their breast feathers so that their skin can come in direct contact with the eggs. The broody hen also stops laying.

That's about all I can think of. Have a fantastic day,
Sharon

also the tell tale sign is if she is sitting on the nest at night. i have never seen a chicken sit on a nest at night unless she was broody. also after a while she will begin to get paler and loose coloration in her face. all three of my experiences with broody hens, i have noticed their face getting paler and paler

Yes to all of the above, and a wilted comb. Some hens are protective of their eggs, but my only hen to go broody is totally fine with me lifting her up or reaching under her. The first time she went broody I thought she was sick, but she just wanted some babies :)

Yes to all of the above, and a wilted comb. Some hens are protective of their eggs, but my only hen to go broody is totally fine with me lifting her up or reaching under her. The first time she went broody I thought she was sick, but she just wanted some babies :)
y did you think she was sick and not roody? I am in a delima myself

I have a Barred Rock that has all the above "symptoms" ... stayed in nest all day/overnight, crouches & puffs feathers up, growls at us, HUGE stinky poo about once every 2 days, droopy comp ... I isolated her in our basement a week ago and no change in behavior, but now think I need to got the "broody breaker box" route. Was about to de-worm her, but I really thinks she's gone broody. Only 4 girls in our lot, so no chicks to be had :(

Back
Top Bottom