broody temp?

tuesdays chicks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
stuart florida
my BO hen and another pullet are kicking the broody out of her nest so they can lay their eggs in her nest, is the body temp of a broody higher then the temp of a non broody? well I haven't seen the other pullet kick her out she may just go in along side of the broody to lay, but the BO hen is on the nest now clucking away is it possible she is going to take over the broody nest? I don't want her going broody.

I tried the separation, I only have 4 birds, and the broody saw that she was locked up without the other girls and went nuts, even though she was in the original coop and run. she seems happy to let them go in and lay their eggs, they get out she goes back in and sits. either that or she is getting up and they are going in to have a turn at sitting the eggs, the eggs may or may not be fertile to begin with so it isn't really a big deal, the problem is they go in and disturb her then I go in and take their eggs. just really wondering if the other hen is warm enough to incubate.

I have had situations like this, and as long as someone is sitting on the eggs, i don't worry too much. Sometimes it gives the broody a welcome break. The part i don't like about it is when scuffles over the nest result in broken hatching eggs. That's very disappointing. You might consider putting some kind of barrier over her nest box to keep her from having to deal with the other hens. I've used a piece of chicken wire before that allows her to get out when she wants to but makes it hard for another hen to get in.

Back
Top Bottom