1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody temprature quest.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dave_Cash69, Feb 20, 2009.

1. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    will cold tempratures kill the fetus inside the egg before it starts developing?
    eg: would it be safe to leave fertile eggs in the nest w/out them being sat on? in order to try and get a hen to go broody?

2. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    i have been thinkin of a way to ask this question too, i wanna know as well

3. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    yeah, please
    fill our minds with knowledge!

4. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    A chicken typically lays until it gets a clutch, then goes broody. Thats if it goes broody. If they all died from exposure quickly, you'd only get one chick from a broody hen under natural circumstances. If the egg freezes, I wouldn't give much for the chances it develops.

5. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I agree i have talked to ppl that "clam" to have hatched frozen eggs and im sure they have but for a general rule no it does not work well if it works at all.

6. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    i have a ? about broodiness while on this page, if i collected say 15 eggs and kept them at a desired temp to hatch later, could i throw all 15 into the nest and have my hen set on them?

7. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Your hen would have to "want to".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by