broody times

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbottom, Feb 8, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    what time of year does a hen usually get broody?
    what age do they go broody?

i ask these questions because ive never had a broody hen my girl is 44 weeks old just started laying yesterday and i again say i have never owned a broody before

2. LuckyChicken

LuckyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    I have found my hens most often go broody in the spring and into summer months. Last year we had a couple of our Buff Rocks go broody in the springtime and they were stubborn as you can imagine, and we had a hard time breaking them. One just wouldn't cooperate so we let her brood. Last year my hens were around a year to a year and a half old. A lot about broodiness depends on the breed. In my experience the Rocks (White and Buff) have been the most broody.

3. yukonchickens

yukonchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    Whitehorse Yukon canada
    I have 3 brahmas - all named Moe - and 2 are broody, one more than the others, so she's Broody Moe. They have been broody since Thanksgiving, and we take her out of her box every day - sometimes twice, and that's about all we can do! When it warms we'll maybe let her hatch a brood....perhaps that will help.

4. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    lol so it doesnt matter if they have been laying a long time? or short i know spring is coming up and im actually hoping she goes broody

5. yukonchickens

yukonchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    Whitehorse Yukon canada
    I guess it doesn't matter how old they are - Broody Moe started being broody when she was only 6 months old! We still get eggs from her, and have given her some fake eggs in exchange. She does get picked on (literally and figuratively) by the others, though.

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My girls go broody anytime they feel like it..LOL

I have one hen who has went broody every 2 to 3 months.

I have one hen who lays 7 eggs and goes broody.

I have one hen who wouldnt go broody if you paid her..LOL

I think it depends on how broody the breed is and each their own.

Some breeds are more broody then others and most breeds of chicken the broodiness has been bred out of them.

7. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    well she looks like a marans but her eggs are the color of barred rocks so im leaning twards her being a barred rock and ive herd they are good broodies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by