Broody? to brood or not to brood that is the question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MayhemMarr, Sep 20, 2016.

1. MayhemMarr

MayhemMarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    OOOOKKK so here is my issue, I have a pullet who seems to be broody, she has sat in the box ALL day I went out to see if she was hiding anything and low and behold she has an egg one single little egg and boy did she give me hell for messing with her. now it is September do I let her hatch her little baby or not? If I do will it be ready come Michigan winter? I don't want her to go through hatching her baby then have it not survive the winter? and as it is a Sex link will she go broody again if I break her this time around? Please help I am a new chicken lady

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Being the breed you mentioned, I really do not think she is broody combined with her age...Just a new layer being a weirdo over her egg.....Take her off the nest....I had a hen last year that never went broody but loved to lay on eggs...

I think your fine in the broody department for now...

Cheers

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some hens linger in the nestboxes, and most will defend their egg while sitting there. A hen that is properly broody will sit constantly for days and weeks only getting off once a day.

I would shag her off the nest, she will probably stay off until she needs to lay again, and if she is actually broody, which as mentioned is probably not the case, but I have read of broody sex links, I wouldn't be hatching this time of year, Midwest winters are too harsh.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees...some seem to enjoy several 'sit in the nest for awhile' even more than once a day.
    3 days and nights, only out for a bite of food and sip....is when I deem them broody.

If she really is broody and you decide you want her to hatch, I'd certainly give her more than one egg.

You'll need to decide if you want her to hatch out some chicks, and how you will 'manage' it.
    Do you have, or can you get, some fertile eggs?
    Do you have the space needed? She may need to be separated by wire from the rest of the flock.
    Do you have a plan on what to do with the inevitable males? Rehome, butcher, keep in separate 'bachelor pad'?
    If you decide to let her hatch out some fertile eggs, this is a great thread for reference and to ask questions.
    It a long one but just start reading the first few pages, then browse thru some more at random.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

If you don't want her to hatch out chicks, best to break her broodiness promptly.
    My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.
    Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

5. MayhemMarr

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    here she is I moved her a couple times and she got all kinds of angry but got right back up there, and on her own she only got up once for food, I even let the flock out to free range some and she stayed put

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She sure looks broody. You will probably need to get a cage to break her, or she will be at it for months.

7. MayhemMarr

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I figured I would let her ride it out we have a cockerel a few weeks older then the ladies and I know he has been frisky with at least a few of them and I am unsure about incubating so I was hoping someone would go broody eventually but didn't think it would happen this soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by