Broody Tom Turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by vahomesteaders, Jun 2, 2014.

1. vahomesteaders

vahomesteaders Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    I have had turkeys all my life. We had them growing up and as soon as we settled our farm I got some Eastern and bourbons. Well the other day my hen got of her nest to feed and the Tom bourbon went in there and sat for days. I have never seen a Tom do that before. Is that common or is it a breed type thing? I believe the hen was mad but he wouldnt move. He did eventualy get off and she is back on but I have just never seen that before.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. Foxrunfarms

Foxrunfarms New Egg

Jun 19, 2014
    Michigan
    I also have a 2 year old Bourbon Red tom that has gone broody. I will get a photo and post in a bit.

3. Haida

Haida Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Western NY
    You know, I don't know if it's breed thing or not. I've heard of Royal Palms doing it, too... not to mention my tom, who's a Standard Bronze and has been broody for almost 3 weeks. He's had the worst time breaking eggs, he's swapped nests three times... you can see the thread I started here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/892883/broody-tom

He's been on 9 eggs for the last week and is actually doing pretty well this time. We'll see. I noticed this morning when he got up to eat, he had feathers coming in on the back of his neck (like a hen would). That's kind of new... I hear the broody hormones can make them look more effeminate. He seems pretty determined and still threatens to come after me if I get too close to his nest. He's been trying so hard, I hope he'll be able to hatch something.

4. alevine1976

alevine1976 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    I have a 1 year old Tom sitting on a clutch of turkey and chicken eggs for 20 days now. He's a dedicated dad. It's so odd. He let's me check the eggs visually, but bites if I pick them up to inspect. He's very protective of the nest.

5. austria89

austria89 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    Austria
    3rd day of my Tom. Hopefully he will become a daddy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by