Broody took a wild ride - poor girl...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wisher1000, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My small coop (see BYC page) blew over in a strong storm today and Coco, our broody BSL was in it! Once my DH saw it on its front, he told me and I ran out to check on her. There are three nest boxes in the coop and she was in the one on the left end. The coop ended up on the ground with the three nest boxes looking like a cat condo with her box on top! I could hear her but couldn't find her at first. I found her eggs in her nest under the straw but she was not there. Still, I could hear her making funny little noises like a broody scream but not so fierce. I found her in the "bottom" nest setting on a golf ball! She must have been thrown out and just climbed back into the only one she could get into. Poor girl, she was 14 days into her brood and half the eggs were cracked. We candled the others and they were all scrambled in the shells with the air sacks dislodged, divided, or in the wrong end. I put her in a kennel with a few golf balls but maybe I should go ahead and try to break her up. Can she sit another 28 days (guinea eggs) or would that be too much to ask of her? She's been through alot.

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i would try to do it

3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Or buy her a few day old chicks??????????
    Good Luck and I am sorry about the mishap........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by