Broody Toulouse Goose raise baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WichitaKSClucks, Mar 31, 2016.

1. WichitaKSClucks

WichitaKSClucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Wichita, Kansas
    Something got into our backyard while I was at work last week and killed 9 of my 10 one year old hens. It bit their heads off leaving just the body. No heads to be found so I guess it ate them. Anyway... My one year old Toulouse goose it sitting on her eggs most of the day for several days now. Could I go to the store and buy several few day old pullets and at night swap her eggs for baby chicks like you can do with broody hens? Would it work? I want more hens but don't want to have to go thru the whole raising baby chicks myself thing. I'm not at home very much during the day. Also, how many young does a Toulouse usually have if this would work?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I have never tried this. It works in reverse; hen with goslings. Post the results if you try this-please.

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    There might be an issue when the goose tries to teach the chicks how to swim... ;)

4. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Or when the goslings swim away room a broody chicken. Rather humorous to watch a chicken jumping rock to rock trying to get to her chicks.

The goose would most definitely be blocked off from large sources of water if she has chicks instead of goslings. The more I think on this the more I think a goose would accept chicks to raise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by