1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

?Broody Transplant?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LadyBirdsPalace, Jul 25, 2011.

1. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Hi Everyone,

SO, my neighbour has two broody hens that she has given to me and I'm wondering if there is any advice on moving them over to my place to ensure they will want to just go right back to relaxing and sitting?

I have made a nice little privacy area where they won't be bothered by everyone and have a four/five eggs for each lady to sit on once she arrives (theirs were all pulled last week cause nothing hatched and they were starting to stink I guess, the one has been broody for at least two months with no results and is presently content to sit on nothing, and the other has stolen more eggs), so I figured I would let the ladies attempt their jobs over here where I can keep an eye on them as their efforts do go unappreciated where there presently are, but hey...I'm just happy to try!

My main worry is that I will bring them over and the stress of a new place will just cause them to say to heck with it!

Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Best chance to move a broody successfully is do it at night and move the nest along with her, or at least the same nesting material.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by