Broody turkey breaking eggs.

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
5 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Hi all! I have a bronze breasted rescue hen whose been disappearing lately so I decided to go out and look for her just now. Turns out she made a nest just next to our barn and was laying on them. All of the eggs are not fertilized and most of them are broken and smell horrible! I'm debating whether or not to buy her some turkey eggs to hatch for her self. I'd move her nest of course to inside the barn with a nice soft nest instead of a hard muddy nest. But the thing I'm worried with is her breaking the eggs we would buy... Do you think shes a bit. you know "Heavy" To lay on a clutch? THanks for any suggestions!

Hi all! I have a bronze breasted rescue hen whose been disappearing lately so I decided to go out and look for her just now. Turns out she made a nest just next to our barn and was laying on them. All of the eggs are not fertilized and most of them are broken and smell horrible! I'm debating whether or not to buy her some turkey eggs to hatch for her self. I'd move her nest of course to inside the barn with a nice soft nest instead of a hard muddy nest. But the thing I'm worried with is her breaking the eggs we would buy... Do you think shes a bit. you know "Heavy" To lay on a clutch? THanks for any suggestions!
I would not give hatching eggs to a broad breasted bronze turkey. They get too heavy and are not very delicate with their feet. If one hatches some eggs, she will most likely step on the poults and kill them.

I recommend that you clean that nest out and put something in the way so she cannot nest there anymore. When she establishes a new nest, put a fake egg in it and collect any eggs she lays on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom