Broody Turkey...Can She Hatch Chicken Eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SandyC, Apr 21, 2009.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a very broody turkey. She had one unfertile turkey egg under her (no Tom around) and hisses whenever anyone comes near. We hated to think all of her work would be in vain, so my son stuck about 6 fertile chicken eggs under her. Has anyone ever done this and did it work?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    It should work, I have never done it that way, but have hatched Turkeys and Guineas under a Chicken. the temp required for each type is the same, so give it a shot, and keep us updated.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I did it, it works and she's just as happy with five chicks as she would have been with poults. She's puttering around the yard talking to them and defending them and showing them the ropes.

4. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    That's cool. We will keep that in mind. It's hard to find a broody hen. They gather eggs and sit on them for a couple days then loose interest. Sounds like turkeys are better moms.

5. SandyC

Well, this turkey is determined! I just wish there were someway I could get the turkey egg out of there since it's not fertile. She hisses and gets upset whenever she sees someone!

Thank you for your comments. I marked the date on the calendar so hopefully we will have baby chicks in early May! :)

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Chicken hatching turkey eggs work good.

Turkey hatching chickens bad idea, turkey hen to heavy for chicken eggs and baby chicks.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The turkeys are heavy and tend to step on the chicken eggs and break them. If it's all you have it's worth a try. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    She did apparently step on one chick the first night and killed it. But she has her little clutch of chicks and is happy. She broke one of her own eggs and a couple of chicken eggs trying to incubate them - she SUCKED at it. Be sure it's not eggs or chicks you really want to make it. These were just for her so she could have SOMETHING for all her effort, however poorly this first attempt at broody went.

I figured she'd do better if she had SOME success. And she defends the little suckers like the devil herself.

9. Eduardo

Eduardo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    I had a Turkey hatch 5 chicken eggs, only one chick made it out alive from under her. You have to watch her closely cause she will step on them and kil tem.

10. SandyC

She is a Royal Palm and her own eggs are about a large as some of those from the chickens. Maybe because she is a smaller turkey, she will do OK. I am going to hatch some turkey eggs this year and hopefully get a Tom, so this won't be a problem next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by