Broody Turkey help?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brewmiss96, Apr 14, 2009.

1. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    It's both our first time, the bird and me! She started laying and I left the eggs, then she started staying on them longer and longer, and now when I come by she hisses at me and is crouched down kinda sullen or pouty. I don't have any male birds so they are infertile, but I want to try hatching eggs and I don't want to spend the money if I can't get this problem fixed...

Where I need help is, she is right by a drain pipe. And it started raining last night. So even though I had built up some boxes around her, she was still damp. So I tried to move her into the coop with the eggs in a big box. She ignored them and roosted. In the morning I cleaned out the doghouse (she's layed in that before) and put them in with water and food, and blocked her in with a box. She ignored them and pushed the box away and now is back where she was before, with a brand new egg.

How do I move her to a more suitable location? How do I make the suitable location appealing? Is there a time of day that is best?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    If she roosted, and is still laying eggs, she's not broody yet. Take this opportunity to make a proper nest and convince her THAT'S where she needs to lay her eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by