Broody Turkey on chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by denasfarm, Aug 16, 2011.

1. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    My BR decided to go broody but since I have taken all of her eggs away she took over one of the chicken nest boxes and has 6 chicken eggs. I candled them and they are alive and kicking...so Could she raise the chicks? or will she kill them when she sees they are not turkeys? She thinks she is a chicken as it is, was raised as a housebird when she was a poult and generally doesnt care for the BR Tom. She will ony mate with him IF we are standing there.

So is it ok to let her raise chicks? They are mixed breeds but still living being.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How long has she been on the chicken eggs? I would be afraid that she would step on the eggs and crush them and the unborn baby chick.

3. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Its been more than a week now. I was worried she would step on the babies myself but after they hatch... But then Turkey poults are dumber than chicks...So I let her be. I have a broody chicken too on the same timeline so I can give them to her if I Need to.

4. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a mottled turkey hen running around with a batch of baby chickens that she hatched and is raising.

5. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Quote:Thanks That makes me feel better! I will let her be she so wants babies! Well she loves her eggs anyway!

6. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Her babies are hatching!!! [​IMG] She is making the sweetest sounds and just Loves her little chickens!
    Wonder if she will notice how different they are?

7. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Nibiru and her chicks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona