1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody turkey ?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by priszilla, Oct 31, 2008.

1. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    how old are turkey h ens usually when they start laying? and go broody? I ask because my crazy girl turkey-slated for Christmas dinner but she is not nice and fat like the tom- is setting on a nest.I think the eggs are from chickens or ducks really.I got her as a day old poult this summer (like in June)[​IMG]

2. Capt. Crusoe

Capt. Crusoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    McHenry County, IL
    I am speaking in regards to the Eastern Wild Turkeys - those are the only ones I have any knowledge and personal experience. Jenney's will become hens (sexually active) the following spring after they are poults and from that point on out. They will go through mating rituals especially noted within Jakes. Yours most likely is carrying some innate traits, which is causing her to sit on some else’s eggs. You could always look at the egg and tell if it is a turkey egg or not. (Or at least the wild ones are different)
    Turkey eggs are good eating so enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by