Broody turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cece119, Mar 25, 2017.

1. cece119

cece119 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    I have this broody hen & I went to check on her today & I noticed some missing feathers. Then I saw this. Does anyone know what it could be? [​IMG]

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Do you have a tom?

3. pooders poultry

pooders poultry New Egg

Sep 29, 2014
    Yes, your Tom is aggressive when mating with the hen, I've Justin's literally kill hens during mating, you can buy a turkey saddle on eBay for very little to protect the delicate skin on her back and sides. I have 75 turkeys and checked hens frequently and when I notice they. Are getting scrapped up by the toms nails I put one on her.they work amazingly. Hope this helps

4. cece119

cece119 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Thank you so much. I have 4 other hens but she is the only one that can't get out of the pen. She is really big & can't fly. We actually thought she was a tom at first.

5. pooders poultry

pooders poultry New Egg

Sep 29, 2014
    My hens are allowed to free roam during the day but locked up at night, right now until more saddles arrive I have my toms separated from the hens which isn't easy task lolol. You should put a salve on your girls spot.I use bag balm use can get it most anywhere and it's great from diaper rash to using on any type of animals. Have a great day and God bless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by