Broody twice in one season?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LarryPQ, May 13, 2010.

1. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Good morning all!

I have a sizzle named Dozer who went broody earlier this year with a few other hens. I gave them all chicks, and after a few weeks, ended up seperating the chicks from the moms. The moms can still see the chicks, but for the most part, have gone back to being non-scary broody chickens. The broodies slept in the boxes for a few weeks, but then returned to roosting: with the exception of Dozer.

Dozer is still sleeping in the nesting box, but had returned to "normal behavior". Then--earlier this week she started sitting on the golfballs again. Hissing, biting my hand, all the fun stuff. She has access to her "old chicks" but seems to ignore them.

Has anyone had a chook go broody more than once a season? Is it because I took away the chicks too early? Her weight seems ok, and she is eating---is something else going on? I can give her eggs to hatch--or more chicks, if tomorrow's hatch goes well. I just dont want her to be unhealthy.

Thoughts?

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm thinking you took the chicks too early. You may as well give her some more and at least that way she'll be up out of her next more. [​IMG]

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I had a game hen last year that raised two clutches over the summer. It did not seem to affect her health wise or anything and she was a ferocious mom both times. I think some of them just have a natural broody tendency.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    i had a hen brood 3 times last year

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    okie dokie. I will get her a nesting box & make sure she is eating enough.

Since she is a sizzle, I worry all those chicks popping in and out of ther feathers will make her bald. [​IMG] Thankfully the summers are hot here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by