1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody update

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PhlyinPheBee, Apr 1, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Well my broody frizzle is a happy hen. She has only left the eggs for a little food and water. I did have to close her in the hutch. The other gals were to in her face.

20 days to go!!!!!!!!!!

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    YAY for your broody! Hunker down hunny bird, and the next 20 days will fly by...

My broody is on day 21. Her eggs are hatching. At 5:30 this evening, we had 2 babies from 12 shipped eggs. I can't wait to see what we've got in the morning.

Good luck. I hope your mama hen sticks with it and gets a good hatch. Keep us posted!

3. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Matildia, my frizzle, is such a good hen. This morning while feeding everyone else she wanted out of her hutch. I let her. For about ten minutes she ate as fast as she could pooped lots and wanted back in her house!!!!!!

That was so cool!!!!!!!

4. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    [​IMG] congrats I'm on day 14

5. jrhodes

jrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I had a broody hen that hatched 10 eggs. It's really a neat thing to watch when she takes them out for a walk. They all scratch around in the dirt looking for food. She is very protective of them. Good luck on your bunch!

6. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Me too.... my first time broody mama and me a first time grandma. She is very protective of her babies so I only held the blonde one once.
    One week old
    [​IMG]
    first day out of nest
    [​IMG]

7. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    CUTE~~~~~~~~~~~~~!

8. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you, they are fun to watch. Wish I knew what breed or breed mix they were. I had Mama in with two roos, one Faverolle and the other I dont know the breed. I sure hope at least the blonde is from the Faverolle.

9. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Congratulations....my favorite incubator/hatcher/brooder!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by