Broody welsumer!! need advice!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeevesrules, May 18, 2011.

1. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    Before you ask the broodiness in question is not unwanted!
    My pet welsumer, Jeeves (unusual name for a girl i know, but i thought she was a roo) has finally gone broody. I Got her some fertile eggs after she stayed on the nest overnight. But i have read that welsumers make terrible mothers!! and i dont want her chicks to be maltreated!! She is on her 3rd day and has come off the nest to feed twice and even once to stop other hens from entering!! is this a sign that she will be a good mother, or is it just a 'redd herring' as you might call it and she will be a terrible mother!!! she looks and sounds normal but im worried if she will stick to the cause or not!??! 3 weeks is a long time!! and if she does, will she teach the chicks how to feed properly!! i know that probably no one can answer these questions but i would appreciate advice!!

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    idk much about this breed, but if you're worried enough, I would set up a brooding box and watch her carefully when they start to hatch. If she's a bad mom, move them to the box, simple as pie.

3. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    Ok, ill try that [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    Oh, I am right with you. I just assumed my Cochin would be my broody hen but my Welsummer is the alpha so when they were both toying with the idea she seized the nest. She sat on fake eggs for a week before I gave her some eBay eggs and has been sitting for about 25 days since. She takes a good 20 minute break every day to eat, poop, stretch. dust bath and then she goes right back on the eggs. I think the eggs were damaged in shipping. But I have no idea whether she'd be a good mother or simply likes sitting on eggs. I'm leaning to get her some baby chicks as she's been so good. But my Cochin also acts semi-broody...
    At the end, I refuse to believe any breed are "terrible mothers." I think the bird is more important than the breed, plus how naturally they are raised, hormones. the season and mother nature's whims. Mine clucks to her eggs even though I'm afraid they are all quitters and she is still sweet to me.
    Hope we both do well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by