Broody went missing today!!! **NEW UPDATE Pg 3**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bec, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

My broody hen that just hatched out 4 chicks 2 weeks ago is missing! We had a huge snow storm and they have been snowed in. The netting ripped on top of the pen, but what could have possibly gotten her with no trace at all? No foot prints, no feathers anywhere, nothing! It would be easy to see being that it is all snow out there.

I really am just hoping that she flew up and out and is maybe just hiding out somewhere, but why would she leave her babies?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Gosh, that's awful. I don't think she would leave her babies. And how are they? Have you brought them in to keep them warm? I sure do pray she comes home. [​IMG]

3. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Oh my gosh, sounds like my story all over again.

One of my hens went missing too, this past weekend, due to our unexpected snow storm. One minute she was in the coop, and bam, she had disappeared the next. The only way she could have gotten out was if someone had let her out, because our coop is fool-proof. Anyways, she was missing on Saturday morning, right before the worst of the snow hit. We couldn't find her anywhere, and in all it snowed about 8 or 9 inches (which is a lot for our town). We thought she had died, we couldn't believe that a year old chicken could live through that storm without any warmth or protection. But then all of a sudden she just appeared at the coop door last night, wanting in. Chickens are mysterious creatures. I just hope that yours will show up too. [​IMG] Poor little babies...

I'm sorry about your hen. Good luck finding her. [​IMG]

4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Is that the beautiful hen that has her feathers wrapped around the chick in your avatar? I remember seeing the photos you posted a bit ago. Sure hope you find her!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Is it possible a hawk flew in and got her ?? But i think it would land on your coop first so you would see prints . Is he hiding in the coop some where . If there is no prints out sie the coop that means shes inside

6. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The only reason I could think of is if she couldn't find the food and went to go get some for her chicks.

7. Bec

The babies are fine, my other broody, Sophie, has been sharing the motherly duties and is taking very good care of them.

I made sure they had plenty of food in their coop, so she wouldn't have gone to look for food, the pen was locked...only ripped netting from the heavy snow on it. There isn't a trace of feathers or anything. I double and triple checked everywhere, their run is 10x10 and they have the smaller of the 2 houses. She is nowhere to be found [​IMG]

Yes, she is the one in my avatar cuddling her baby! [​IMG]

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:You have pretty much described a hawk trap, a rip on the coop, hawk can jump in but they can't jump out due to their wingspan.

9. Bec

I searched all over in there again this morning and nothing.....I am puzzled on this one!

10. Bec

SHE'S BACK!!!! I found her tonight on top of the wood pile! She has a hurt wing, she is dragging it and she also has a hurt foot. But i am so glad she is home!! I really hate to think about what she has been through these last 24 hours!! [​IMG] She was so hungry when I offered her some food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by