Broody... what to do??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momofdrew, Jan 8, 2009.

1. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok this weekend I thought my Minny was going broody she had laid an egg and refused to move Hermione sat with her...someone suggested I move Minny and egg and put her where she wouldnt be bothered...which I did and she freaked and stopped sitting... abandoning the egg... [​IMG] now 4 days later she is doing it again...this time there are 2 eggs under her and Hemoine is cuddled up next to her...They share nests on occation...If I go near Minny makes nasty mean noises this time [​IMG] like I should totally leave her alone...what is a mother to do???? [​IMG] I need help here everything I read about incubation is by machine where can I find info by bird??? do I need to candle the eggs or leave her go to it I know she will provide the right heat and humidity and will rotate the eggs...do I just leave her out in the coop and hope for the best... We have 4 birds 1 roo and 3 hens...Minny's nest is right by the door where I collect the eggs...I am afraid my going into the coop will disturb her...but I dont want her to freak out again...

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I had the same issue and moved my broody to a x large dog kennel and put in the garage where it is warmer.
    Sometimes when chicks hatch the other hens will eat them. That has happened to a friend of mine.
    Her kennel is big enough to have a nesting box and her food and water.

3. momofdrew

should I give her a day or so I dont want her to abandon the eggs this time...I have a xl kennel too but my barn is colder than her coop I would have to put her up in the house here in the room with the puta...would that disturb her too much???

4. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Has she lost any tummy feathers ? Somtimes they will and that might help you to know. I don't know that my hen will stay with them to hatch them but thought I would give her a chance.
    Is there room for the kennel in the coop ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  5. momofdrew

no room... coop is 4'x3' and the run is 4'x 10'

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    IMO, I'd mark the eggs she sitting on with a pencil and leave her alone !!!

I would candle around day 10-12 to make sure the eggs are good, wouldnt want anything exploding under her, EWWW !!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  7. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    i agree.
    Quote:

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I am eavesdropping on this thread.
    I have a 6' X 3' coop and I have one broody in there on eggs, and another broody behind a board in the chicken yard. I have not really figured out a way to seperate them from the nonbroodies, and dont know what to do either.

The weather is about to turn extremely cold and even nastier than it is now.

Can I seperate the two broodies and keep them together? It would require them to both be moved, and I would possibly have to even bring them inside to give them their own area.

9. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    It's also tuned very cold here in Montana in fact a 20 degree drop in one day. I am moving my broody into my laundry room this morning as it will continue to be very cold for at least a week.

My DH won't be very happy as I already have 7 in a brooder box that are 8 days old in there. He thinks my coop is coming into the house which is kind of true ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not sure what else to do ? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
  10. momofdrew

Minny now has 4 eggs under her she growls at me if I put my hand in there...I was able to mark the eggs...our temps are hovering around 20 with a windchill in the single numbers and the sun is out... SHould I try to bring her in or leave her alone???? she seems fine... the other birds are free ranging through the snow...It seems they have moved a lot of the shavings around to build up around her... is that unusual??? she is on the shavings on the floor with about 4-5 inches of shavings under her...they build their own nests and dont use the ones I built for laying eggs I am just rambling here I guess I am nervous about having babies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by