Broody White Rock - already? She's only 7 months old!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom2jedi, May 28, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Alright so being my first time with chickens knew I was going to get a broody hen at some point. I have a couple different ages in my flock and this girls is in the group that hatched Oct. 26th of last year. That makes her 7 months old a couple of days ago. She's been making an awful ruckus that last couple days when ever anyone (human or chicken) walks by the nest she's in. However, she's been getting out and playing in the run after about an hour or so. Today, same thing, fluffed up and squawking even tried to nip at me when I checked for eggs. This afternoon my 11yo son did the last check for eggs for the day and mentioned she was still in the same nest box. I went down to take a look and sure enough there she was. I checked under her and she didn't have any eggs so I pulled her out and put her down in front of the feeder. She started eating right away so hopefully I caught it early enough.

What I'm wondering is, is this normal for her to go broody so soon? She's only been laying for a couple months! Do I need to break her or will removing her from the nest work well enough. I don't really have a cage big enough to break her in.

2. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I have seen to broody that early sounds like a good hen to me.

3. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    You and I are in the same boat. My 28 week old Silkie hen just went broody on me. I've given her a couple days to see if she would get bored of it, but she hasn't. So I'm going to give her a few eggs this weekend and let her have at it. I just couldn't believe that she went broody so young. I did get lucky though. Instead of being meaner than normal, she's actually gotten sweeter.

I hope you can get her over being broody if you want. Otherwise perhaps we'll be hatching buddies [​IMG]

4. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, I don't have a roo so there won't be any fertile eggs for her to hatch. If she keeps it up, I might get a couple EE babies to stick under her as I only have two and just LOVE the green eggs. I actually think I just read your post about your silkie, how funny!

5. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Getting chicks is a great idea. I wish our feed store hadn't stopped selling them. But my eggs should definitely be fertile. I've got three roos in with my 13 girls, only 3 of which (including my broody) are old enough to lay. So a 1:1 ratio should get me great ferility, I hope.

6. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Gonna have to run that by the hubby first! We have a limit of 25 chickens where we live, and I'm placing an order with MPC soon to get a couple breeds we didn't get in the special they offered last fall which will put us right at 25 if all the silkies end up to be girls (ordering 4 hoping the odds will work in my favor). We'll see I don't mind her going broody so much since we get at least 13 eggs a day from our 17 girls (only one I think hasn't started yet) but I'd hate for her to lose condition when there's no hope of her actually hatching any.

Another question anybody... if I let her stay broody I should keep a couple wooden eggs under her for a while right? How long should I wait before putting chicks under her?

7. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, she's definitely broody. She's back in the same nest box with no eggs under her. Stuck a couple wooden ones under there so she'd calm down a bit. Can't believe how fluffed up she is! Like twice her size I swear! Maybe I can find some hatching eggs to give her on craigslist...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by