broody will not give up Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Our broody BJG has been sitting on the nest for 30 days and she hatched a chick on day 26 but she did not like the chick she pecked it really hard a few times and we saved and got it 2 buddies (Chicken Math)
    but anyway we are worried that she will get sick we have been taking her of the nest 2 times a day and she will free range for about 3 hours then act like she wants to be with the rest of the flock and I let her in the run and she get a sip of water and runs full speed into the coop and is in the nest. So I want to know what you guys would do?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Anybody?

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Have you tried giving her a few chicks at night tuck em in under her and see how she does?Doesn't hurt to try agian...

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Yes I have we gave her a chick before the little one hatched and she did the same thing pecked it really hard so I am not trying that anymore.

Thanks for posting though

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Another method i Have heard used to break her broody is to put her in a wire bottom cage..
    like this

6. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

My first broody, Madonna, pecked the first chick that hatched. I thought she was going to kill it. I took it away for an hour, put it under a heat lamp to dry it, then, tried again. She pecked it a few times, but after a while, she calmed down,and raised an 8-chick brood. Since it's been a few days, I don't know what you should do. I don't think she would take to them since it's been this long... But you never know. Do what you think is right.

7. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Ok thanks

8. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    get a buket with water regular temperature and stick her whole body for about 30 s to 1 min then she will be no broody any more ans star laying eggs again withing 5 days. os i heard and i heard it works well.

9. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I heard a variation on that one. [​IMG] When she's on the nest, take a bucket of water and douse her. I don't know if it works or not. [​IMG]

10. pruitt514

pruitt514 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Suches, Ga
    I have heard to place the hen in a cage alone with no nesting materials. It will take a few days to break her, then you can return her to the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by