broody with a chick

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
Bella the Salmon Fave is just over a year old. She is broody for the third time since last November. We stuck fertile duck eggs under her and she's taking care of them pretty good it seems.
Well, we have 2 little chicks. Ones a buff cochin frizzle bantam named Squiddley, about 3 months old.
It seems Squiddly has discovered Bella sitting on her nest...and has made herself at home, tucked under bellas wing cuddled up next to her side(happened during a pretty nasty downpour and I think she went in there scared).
Bella is tolerating this invader very well, no hissing or growling or anything.
My question is this...will Bella adopt this chick as hers and abandon the eggs in the nest?

Take her "adopted" chick away. But, seriously, hens wean their chicks well before they're 3 months old. I don't see her running around with this one and mothering it.
smile.png

I may have to take away the chicks free range rights. The bigger chick, a slw, would probably have a meltdown. Normally the banty is hiding under her, its pretty funny. The broody so far doesn't seem interested or bothered by the baby. I really want her to hatch ducklings, the last duck egg she sat on, the yolk broke when it was hatching. I peeked in the hole it had broken through and the yolk was everywhere. It was still moving so I hurried to get it out but it died before I was able to. It was gorgeous. Daddy is a brown Indian runner mommy is a Peking. The duckling was light brown and its bill was half yellow half brown.

I may have to take away the chicks free range rights. The bigger chick, a slw, would probably have a meltdown. Normally the banty is hiding under her, its pretty funny. The broody so far doesn't seem interested or bothered by the baby. I really want her to hatch ducklings, the last duck egg she sat on, the yolk broke when it was hatching. I peeked in the hole it had broken through and the yolk was everywhere. It was still moving so I hurried to get it out but it died before I was able to. It was gorgeous. Daddy is a brown Indian runner mommy is a Peking. The duckling was light brown and its bill was half yellow half brown.

Back
Top Bottom