Broody with a few pictures. and I need advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karlamaria, Apr 7, 2012.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My Broody has been in that nest for a few weeks, only leaving to poop and eat. we take the eggs ( no rooster ) and she fluffs and is more determined then ever. Today we got several fertilized eggs from a great family who supply us with eggs during the winter when my girls slack some. any how we put the unwashed fertile eggs under her ( we did this last time and when we found them the next day they were all broken and eaten [​IMG]so we waited and yep she is seriously broody so here is what we did, we blocked off the front of the nest with screen, so the other birds do not come full force in the front to lay and bother her, and filled the other side full of litter to show them where to lay. ( they all like the side she is on now ) we kept the side open so she could come and go. was this wise? the nest is higher up, and I did not want her to loose eggs from falling from the nest. we are hoping to have her in a new small coop when they are born. take a look and see if this is ok, and if you think its ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Will I need to move the hen and eggs, and if so how do I do it so she will not get mad ?
    maybe a moderator can add these pictures for me? I tried to add the pictures, nothing works, so I think you can just click on them and they will open.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. NeuronSauce

NeuronSauce Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    I have broody silkies right now. I pick them up and move them daily, and they go right back to the eggs- I'm hatching out babies now. I've even moved the eggs to new nest locations several times. I have more trouble getting them to not be broody. However, silkies are known for being awesome incubators, so that may not be the case with your hen. :S

If you're concerned that they other chickens will harass her, then I would go ahead and set up a private pen for her. Furthermore, if babies are hatched out when you're not around, then you run the risk of them being killed by your other chickens, or falling out of her nest site.

If possible, I would make a little screened door for that section, so that you can close off or open that area up to the other birds at will. That way you can leave it open most of the time so that she can get some socialization, and close it when the chicks are due to avoid them falling/being pecked to death. Might be easier than building a separate coop for her, and it might avoid a problem if you're afraid that she'll be dissuaded if you move her or if she's picked on by the other birds.

4. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have a separate brooder box, I think I'm going to move her tomorrow and set her in it until she hatches the eggs. I'm putting it in the front porch, its cool there but not to bad. this way it will be safer for her and the chicks, and less a hassle of being worried all the time something will happen. It has a nesting area, and she can get out of the nest and eat or poop . I think this will be for the best. my worry is she will not take to the new nest . im going to wait until evening time, and have it all set up and put her eggs in, then her. I hope that is the right way to do it. she is on her eggs now just hope she does not abandon them :(

5. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I moved. MY girl into a wooden rabbit hutch in the front porch, we set it up with a box for her to brood in, added lots and lots of nice wood chips, laid the eggs in a circle and set her on them, she has not moved for hours. We put food and water in there also and she is now protected from the cold coop out side, the other girls who would not leave her alone and who use the same nest box, and if you can believe it, one astrolorp took over her nest and eggs and would not let her back onto the eggs. Now she is warm, alone with her eggs and all should be well. We will candle them in ten days to see how it's going. Oh this is so exciting, our first ever broody and hatch. This has been an exciting year of getting chicks, raising them and now my baby being a mamma ! We are truly excited! Now to get that coop enlarged lol, and soon!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Day 6 she is broody well and sitting like a trooper. We are going to candle tonight yay!

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Where do you expect her to go with chicks? Once they come out of the nest site an alternative location will be needed where hen is free and clear of standing water when heavy rains hit.

8. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    She has a little coop, big enough for her and her brood. They will go to the big pen with a new fence and gate separating them from the bigger birds. The pen is fully enclosed, even has tarp on the sides in case it snows ,which it may do again tonight. The pen has never never had water on it, nor snow. My girls are protected from all sides from the elements . This weekend we are seeing a contractor to enlarge the pen and increase the coop out to acomadate the extra girls I plan to keep. :)

9. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    The little coop is a dog house, I forgot to mention I had picked one up. We will be using it as a coop until the pen and coop is enlarged. We are just waiting for the snow and rain to stop so we have a decent weekend to start the work .It may be dry other places, but Montana is still getting snow .( possiblility of tonight) the babies will not move into the enlarged coopt until late summer when the chicks grow and can be better integrated with the older girls.we are also still thinking of moving these to my moms house and setting up a coop and pen there. We have time to decide lol

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Since chicks will be confined near adults I recommend using a medicated feed at first with extra effort made to keep chicks off wet ground that may have been occupied by chickens in last year or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by