Broody with chicks accept new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmpcfp, Aug 24, 2016.

1. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I have a broody with five 4-6 day old chicks. I have an egg in the incubator due to hatch around Friday 26th (the broody hen was sitting on this one for about week before I realized it was a stow-away under her. I also have 8 more eggs due to hatch around the 31st that I found in a hidden communal nest. Instead of tossing them, we decided to try to hatch them out.

The 8 due on the 31st I am going to keep in a brooder as I think I have found a home for them.

What do I do with the one due to hatch on the 26th?

Will broody accept it as her own? Is the age gap too much? Should I just keep it by itself for 4-5 days before the others hatch?

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    She's not likely to take it. She'll know its not hers and either abandon it or more likely kill it.

3. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    Is she still sitting on her nest?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  4. TWK777

TWK777 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    there is a chance she will accept them, i have had it happen in the past but you must keep a close eye on her to see if she accepts them, or if she suddenly changes her mind. if she does, the chicks need to be put in a brooder.

5. Lincityfarmette

Lincityfarmette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    Throw in an empty shell and slip chick under her at night with the rest. That might help. Also keep her busy with her young ones with dry leave pile or such for distraction and cohesiveness. And yes Watch the Mama!

6. Lincityfarmette

Jun 8, 2016
    How did your broody do with the age gap chick???

7. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I ended up not introducing the late hatcher to the broody. I kept her inside until the ones in the incubator hatched. She had a small stuffed hippo as a "litter mate" and a fluffy teddy bear as a "mama" that she slept under. That kept her calm until the others hatched.

8. Lincityfarmette

Jun 8, 2016

is the olderling with the others now? Good subs, the stuffed critters . Wouldn't have thought of that myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by