Broody with chicks I bought

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ellie, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    My broody, Emily sat for 27 days on eggs and 32 altogether. It appeared that all eggs were messed up by the post office. There was only liquid in them.

So, I went to the feed store and got two barred rocks for her. She deserved to have babies~

Here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ellie

2. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    How cute [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That was such a bummer, Ellie! I sent eggs to Jess and Suz in another part of California that same week and they had a good hatch, so I know it wasnt fertility. Just wish they'd hatched for you, but at least Emily has some babies!

4. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Awww!!!! [​IMG] Love it! Baby chicks are cute.. but there's something just UNBEARABLY ADORABLE about babies and their momma...

5. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    I have a broody BO. I also have eggs due to hatch in 2 days...Hummm...I was wondering if I could isolate her and sneak the chicks under her. I was also thinking about putting the eggs under her..But don`t think I should for fear of something going wrong. Anyone have any thoughs on this?[​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Awwwwwwwwwww.... My BO also went broody a few weeks ago - I bought eggs as well, she started with 10 eggs, but a couple broke and some where clear....
    she was lucky enough to get two little babies, a speckled sussex now named Molly, and a little Japanese bantam un-named.... (although my daughter has come up with PLENTY of names so far)

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks, everyone. Cynthia, it was the fault of the post office I am certain. My other eggs from you had a terrific hatch and those babies are growing like crazy.

It is indeed fun to watch a mama and her babes. They are all a little different, I can see from having two now.

Ellie

Wiledsky, need pics!

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
  9. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Wildsky,
    Thanks for sharing. I just got back from a mini vacation and have not kept up with the forum/

Adorable.

Ellie

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    There are so many BO's that have gone broody on the forum... its really cute - like they're all on the same time clock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by