Broody with Chicks Still Wants Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spinning Carrie, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Spinning Carrie

Spinning Carrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2015
    I have a one-year-old FBCM, Professor Snape, who went broody, and remained broody after two weeks in a wire cage. I decided to get her some day old chicks which she accepted no problem. I kept them separated in the coop from the rest of the flock for a week, then took the barriers down the day three days ago. Snape and her chicks have been exploring the coop, but not much beyond it. I had an abnormally low lay day yesterday and thought it was the heat but realized Snape is still hoarding eggs. She had 8 eggs in her nest box and I caught her taking rolling one out right after another chicken laid it. I am hoping she starts taking the chicks into the run, but I think she wants to watch for eggs. Anyone else have this problem? Should I be worried? I leave for a week on vacation and I don't want she and the chicks to be stuck in a warm coop because she's egg napping.

2. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2017
    separate her from the other chickens so that she will take the chicks out in the sun, she will quit being brood after 3-4 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by