Broody with chicks - Wont take them out to feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sgsf, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Well it's been about two-three days since the eggs have hatched (Saturday around 10:00AM maybe) - I put food out there on Sunday, and some of the chickens came out and at a little bit and drank some water. But the mother hasn't really moved since. I came home today (Monday) and she moved about 2-3 feet from her broody spot/nest. Then after I went out there later, she had took the two EE's egglaying spot (two eggs in there). She was sitting on those eggs with her chicks. Did she try to sit on those eggs to hatch them? Did she think she had to hatch those eggs?

I have removed the two EE eggs from the nest she just moved to, hoping she will take her chicks to show them how to eat and drink. Just show them the ropes. Will she eventually get up and leave the nest with her chicks?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    She should, but not all broodies are real bright. I had one that did not want to leave the coop with her chicks so I locked her in a pen with her chicks and food and water for two days, then let her out. They were fine after that, but she wanted to go back to that pen every night.

Good luck!

3. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Thanks for the post. But not sure if that could work for me. ;/

4. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    I took three chicks out of 7 and showed them how to drink. So thats a total of 4 chicks that know how to drink, if they can remember it. By tonight, it will be 3 days. The broody hen STILL hasn't took them out to drink and eat. And when she does, will you see it? I'm at home from 4:00PM-10:00PM(Bedtime). I don't want my first batch of chicks to die. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I put small dishes of feed and water in the covered litter box where my latest broody hatched her chicks. She didn't bring them outside the coop for about a week, actually.

6. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Quote:Can you give me a picture please? I'm not sure if my setup is really good. Also, how do I get the chicks to start drinking water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by