Broody with duds at Day 6 - Can she restart?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by davemonkey, Feb 16, 2014.

1. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    I had a hen go broody, but a young cockerel who had only just started to fertilize eggs. I gave her 7 eggs from hens that he had mounted just to make her happy, but 4 of them turned out to be duds (candled this evening at Day 6).

At this stage in the game, can I start her out with a fresh clutch of eggs and expect her to hatch them out, or is it too late for that?

I have slight nudge to want to purchase some day-olds (to arrive on what would have been hatch day) but I'd really rather not.

2. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    OR, to think of it from the opposite end, can I get her day-old chicks at a more convenient time for me, which would be at least a week PRIOR to original hatch date, and put them under her at night, and expect her to *think* they are hers?

3. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could do either buuut personally I would let her continue to try and hatch the 3 remaining eggs and on hatch day you could give her extra chicks to raise along with her eggs. Broodies cannot count eggs or tell time so either way she will not care

4. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Thanks Debs55!

5. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by