Broody with eggs of different ages...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyLittleFarm, Feb 17, 2011.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a broody Silky who had 6 eggs a few days ago. She had been on them for maybe a week. I'm not sure when she started. Today there are 9 eggs under her. I marked all 9 so that I can be sure to remove any new ones the other hens might lay, but will it be a problem that the eggs were laid up to 5 or 6 days apart? If any babies actually hatch, do I remove the unhatched eggs so momma can tend to the chicks?

I thought of trying to candle them and see if I could tell which were further along in development, but I haven't candled before and I'm pretty sure I would mess that up. [​IMG]

2. Hi! What I would do (if I understand your situation correctly) is take the chicks as they hatch and move them to a 'brooder' til the last chicks have hatched (5 or 6 days later).
    That way the hen will stay broody and finish the hatch.
    Meanwhile, you will be feeding and tending the first newly hatched chicks.
    When the hatch is done, slip the older chicks back under the hen IF you want to let her raise them.

Good Luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great solution!

4. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So the mom won't reject them if I give them back to her a few days later?

I'll give it a try! Still keeping my fingers crossed for babies to hatch, though...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by