1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody with first or fake egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    My RIR got in the nest and started rolling the fake egg I have in there with her beak and sat on it... she turned and got settled.... then went in the next box and did the same thing with it's fake egg.

Now, I have my first 4 eggs. 2 medium and 2 small so I am thinking 2 girls out of 9 have started.

Can she be getting ready to lay or is she being broody with a fake egg? I don't know if she is one who laid an egg yet. (I hate not knowing..... but pet and praise them all).

Thanks,
    Ellie

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    She is getting ready to lay, a couple days before they start to lay they start to become curious about the nest boxes. Keep looking, you should have more eggs soon!

3. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Ah, thanks, I thought it was odd behaviour. Not so, she is just doing what comes natural. There was a small egg in the nest later in the day.... guess it was her.

Ellie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by