Broody with no roo? Pic Added *UPADATE*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nyna, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Hi, I hope that is not a stupid question, but I have a hen that has been sitting on her eggs for two days now! I don't get it, she wouldn't get up to free range with the rest and wouldn't even get up for scratch. I am worried she hasn't eaten or drank water. I don't have a rooster so I really don't know what's going on. Forgive me, I am still learning about chickens (thanks to you guys). Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Oh- she couldn't be egg bound or anything could she?
    -worried mother

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    She is doing everything a hen shoud do. She has no idea that the eggs arent fertile. Usually it starts when a couple eggs "build up" in the nest. She will sit on them with little movement, food or water for almost a month. The eggs will obviously not hatch since no roo was involved.

You can
    1. Get some fertile eggs and let her sit on them, although if this is her first time and she is young, you dont know for sure if she'll do a good job or if youll end up having to incubate. Youd have to get them quick cause after about 21 days, she will probably stop sitting.

2. Wait and see if she gets over

3. Be more aggressive about "gettiing her over it" by locking her out of the nest.

See if anyone else has any ideas for you.

3. Nyna

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Ha-Ha:lol: That's funny, I didn't know, these are my first birds. So almost a month! That is a very long time. I don't know if I like that. She is my favorite hen too. So hopefully I can maybe get her out of the nest and take the eggs? Darn, I knew I should have taken the golf balls out of there! I tried to pet her and she was very defensive acting. Well, we will see what happens. Maybe I can get a good pic of her to show you guys, poor girl wants to be a mommy!

4. beejay86

beejay86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Western Massachusetts
    My Black Australorp "Bessie" sat in broody for 6-8 weeks. She finally came our last week. Next, a RIR "Chester" is now taking her turn. It's been a week. I take her out and toss her into the run for treats. I can reach under her for the eggs. So, just give it time, I guess it's normal and she'll eventually get over it.

5. Nyna

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    [​IMG]

She is looking at me like she wants to kill me! I tried to move a feather next to her and she pecked my finger! I can't get to the eggs! I wish she knew she wasn't doing a darn bit of good!

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

She looks like she needs some fertile eggs [​IMG]

7. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    nyna i really like your nesting boxes.

8. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Isn't she sweet! She wants some babies. [​IMG]

9. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Recently, I had a first time setter that was setting on 17 unfertile eggs that she had been hiding under a boxwood by the house. I took her eggs away and replaced them with 6 RIR banty eggs that I got from a friend. She hatched all 6 and they are 1 week and 4 days old, now.

10. Nyna

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    So okay, Yesterday morning I checked on my chickens and my other black girl was laying in the nest next to the broody hen. After work they were both still laying there! Day like 6 for one and second day for the other. So darnit! I only have six hens and two of them are broody! And I only have three laying boxes so I will have to make some more! (Thank you adorable, I made them myself, and obviously they like them a little too much!) So I am wondering if I should put some thick gloves on and some protective sleeves and try and pick them up and take the eggs away to see if they will get out of it? (they will fight and peck me) I mean, it would be silly to let them sit there for a month and not even do anything! Any advice?
    Pictures:
    The two black ones are the broody hens.
    Then there's the rest of the flock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by